Whenever I start playing MyTeam, I think it’s a good idea to have an idea of what kind of team you want to build from the start so you know what players to buy. I call these ideas for MyTeams, “theme” teams. Theme teams aren’t necessarily put together to beat every team you face but instead are put together to see how your theme can compete and for fun. You’ll be a lot more interesting opponent to those that appreciate basketball and probably have a little bit more fun.
Let’s go over the three teams I usually build in MyTeam and then I’ll share with you some other ideas you might want to consider for yourself.
Coach2K’s Top Three “Theme” Teams
Right from the start, I always have three “theme” teams I want in MyTeam. I typically only accomplish the first two ideas and I’ll explain why I don’t focus too much on my third team in a second.
As a side note before we get started, I’ve also gone a step further and customized my arena and uniforms in MyTeam to match my theme.
Here are my specific theme teams:
- C2K Indiana Pacers As you might already know, I am a big Pacers fan. I always like to put together the current year Indiana Pacers. I do this because I really enjoy using the team each year across all modes. I like to get as tough as I can with my Pacers each and every year. You can’t get a better workout for your team than when you use it in MyTeam. That’s because you are always playing against some of the all time greats in league history.
- C2K Indiana Allstars My next theme team is one of my favorites. The only players that can be on this team are players who were born in Indiana or graduated from high school in Indiana. Indiana has a rich history of basketball and some really talented players are from Indiana. With a starting five of Oscar Robertson, Eric Gordon, Larry Bird, Shawn Kemp and Miles Plumlee, I can have a lot of fun. Thanks to my good NBA2K friend DC for the idea to build a team like this in the first place.
- C2K All Time Pacers My last theme team is the one I really don’t build but consider every year. That team is the all time greatest Pacers. While I can put together a pretty good team, it’s disappointing that I can’t get Reggie Miller, the greatest Pacer of all time. And because of that, I just can’t see myself using it.
Coach2K’s list of 25 theme team ideas
- Actual NBA teams Of course, the easiest to create are the current year teams just like my C2K Pacers squad. But you might also be able to create teams from previous years.
- Hometown state or city teams Hometown teams are my second team. I typically like my home teams to be players from a certain state. If you thought Indiana had a tough team, check out all of the great players from North Carolina.
- All time greats from specific NBA teams You can never go wrong with the all time greats from specific franchises unless of course your all time great isn’t in the game.
- All decade teams Teams I’d personally like an all 80’s team but you can take any decade and compile a list of teams from specific decades.
- All year teams (or teams from certain years) Similar to the all decade teams, you can limit your focus to players from specific years.
- All division teams Pick the best players from NBA Divisions like the Central Division for example.
- All conference teams Pick the best players who played in the Eastern Conference or in the Western Conference.
- All time international team Pick only international players to fill your MyTeam squad.
- Regional teams Pick the best players from certain places in Europe for example.
- Dream team The all time greatest team of all time. the 1992 Dream Team (minus Barkley of course!)
- Olympic gold medal winner teams Pick only players who have an Olympic gold medal.
- All bronze, silver or gold teams Only pick players who bronze, silver or gold cards.
- Salary cap teams Instead of loading your team with Opals and Pink Diamonds, put limits on the number of great cards you can have.
- All transition team Pick the fastest players in NBA history.
- All NBA teams from specific years Pick players who made the all NBA teams for specific years.
- All defense team Pick players who have won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.
- All offense team Pick the top leading scorers in NBA history.
- MVP’s Only pick players who have won the MVP award.
- Rookie of the Year Only players who won the Rookie of the Year award can be on your MyTeam.
- Sixth man of the year Only players who won the sixth man of the year award.
- ABA team Former ABA players only.
- College alumni team Teams of college alums like Indiana, Kentucky or North Carolina.
- College conference teams Big Ten, ACC or SEC players.
- Dunk contest award winners The dunk contest winners.
- All technical team Only pick players who have the most technicals in NBA history.